Sunday, July 6, 2008

Renousse, stress and cool people

July 6: Kenora to Dryden (138.29km)
Thankfully, today I had a tailwind for most of the day that helped me along, because the terrain was rolling hills which can really become tiring after a while because you can never get into a rhythm. Unfortunately, the wind seems to have brought inclement weather. The day became colder as it went along and it looked like it might rain at any time. Given this weather I got a motel in Dryden and checked the weather network and the next few days don't look good with a strong likelihood of rain on Tuesday. At that point I should be on my way to Thunder Bay and according to the map, it is the middle of nowhere with very little before the big city of the north.

Before starting on my trip, one of my big concerns was the loneliness aspect of doing such a journey. Traveling for so long with Tony averted this problem of course, but even since we have been separated, I'm amazed how loneliness is not really a problem. Being a biker, a lot of people are curious as too what I'm doing and approach me which helps a lot. And I think doing this blog is a great aid as well, because it allows me to keep some semblance of normality by keeping in contact with people. I guess what I'm trying to say is thanks for reading and for leaving some posts:)

July 7: Dryden to Ignace (105.94km)
As I was loading up my bike this morning at the motel, I talked to these three native guys who were also staying at the motel. They were asking about my trip and I found a bit about them. They live about 600km north of Dryden and even though I don't know too much about their story, it sounded pretty grim. They talked about the alcoholism on their reserve and one of them was a kind of youth outreach person. They were in Dryden to take a break from the issues in their reserve. Anyways, they impressed me so much because even though things sounded pretty bad for them, they were quite pleasant and they insisted on giving me money. Again, I don't know their story, but I'm pretty sure I'm materially better off than they are, but their generosity was remarkable. Of all the people I've met on this trip, I hope to remember those three the most.

The ride today was difficult. They were calling for cold and rain in the afternoon. Thankfully, the rain only started moments after I reached my destination. It was cold and I had a healthy headwind the whole day. I was pooped by the time I arrived in Ignace and just wanted to relax. Tomorrow promises to be challenging as well, because it is supposed to be cold and rainy once again. Moreover, I hope to make it too Upsala which from the sounds of it doesn't offer many services. So I will likely have to camp in the rain. The following day is supposed to be better however.

As you may have noticed from the tone of my postings, the last few weeks have been difficult for me. Getting sick, the road quality and the mid-trip blues are challenging my motivation. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to complete my trip, I simply want this journal to be a true reflection of my trip and this is what I'm experiencing at the moment. In fact, I fully anticipate that this segment of the trip will be the part which I will be the most proud of when all is said and done. I will have to make sure not to stay in Ottawa too long when I pass through so that the temptation to stay won't be too great:)

July 8: Ignace to Upsala (116.00km)
I noticed this morning that I was very tired - not physically, but rather psychologically. I then realized that the stress of the past couple of weeks were tiring me out. In Manitoba, I was constantly on my guard while I was on the Trans Canada and in Ontario, while there are shoulders, I'm stressed by the trucks that are passing me - especially when there is on-coming traffic as the trucks don't have a lot of room to maneuver. I'm constantly keeping an eye on my rear view mirror and when I see a situation that may be tight I move onto the gravel shoulder. I'll probably get a few flats from this and may even fall down a couple of times, but I figure it's better than the alternative.

In any case, this vigilance is tiring because I am constantly mindful about what is coming behind me and about the on-coming traffic. Realizing that I have been on edge, I decided to try to relax more while on the bike - all the while keeping vigilant when need be. Otherwise, I will essentially burn myself out.

The ride today was ok if wet, cold and windy (thankfully, the wind was generally in my favour). For those familiar with the New Brunswick roads, I've been essentially riding on the Renousse for the past two days and tomorrow promises to be the same.

Since it was cold and wet, I decided to stay at a motel in Upsala and I met a supremely cool guy. My neighbour is walking across Canada. Yeah, you read right. He started his journey in Vancouver in early April and he hopes to reach Newfoundland in November. Joseph heads a non-profit organization in southern Ontario that promotes non-violence and eliminating violence in our lives in all forms. Even though this walk isn't directly linked to the organization, it is a kind of demonstration of his philosophy. A super nice guy and quite inspirational. Makes my quixotic journey look pretty wimpy:)

July 9: Upsala to Thunder Bay (130.28km)
The ride was cold and rainy today again, but the wind was generally in my favour. As I was getting closer to Thunder Bay, the roads were getting hillier. This was a bit of foreshadowing I believe for the coming weeks as I'm told the roads are very hilly between Thunder Bay and Wawa (probably a good 10 days away). Contrary to the Rockies, these hills are short, steep and frequent, but I'm told that the landscape will be quite beautiful.

Once in Thunder Bay I checked into the Backpackers Hostel and met a number of cool people. Dan is from England and has walked a good chunk of the Appalachian trail and is now going west to do some more adventures. Jean-Raphael is from France and is hitchhiking across North America and Marie-Chantal is from Montreal moving to Kamloops. All very nice people that we went to a concert in a park together. When we saw that the concert was of polka music, we promptly turned around and went to a pub instead:)

July 10: Thunder Bay to Thunder Bay (0km)
I'm taking today off to do a bit of laundry and relax. I was told about a spa not far away that is apparently nice that I may check out to pamper myself.

Oops, I forgot to post my pictures. Here they are.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roland,

A spa would be fabulous and just the right thing! Go for it! Enjoy!

pep talk:
Yay Roland! Go, go, go! You're amazing! You can do it! Woo woo! Keep up! We're rooting for you!

And why not add in few Ad Gureh Nameh's next time you hit the road, for a little added cushioning, relaxation, and added spice!

Best wishes for your next leg of the journey,

Sara

Roland Hebert said...

Thanks for the pep talk Sara:)

I did go to the spa (well more like sauna) and it was great. I felt relaxed afterwards and it seemed to change my outlook on things a bit for the better. I just looked on the weather network website for tomorrow's forecast and they're calling for rain and a high of 16 ... that didn't help my outlook:)

Thanks again and maybe I will try Ad Gureh Nameh's. I'll take all the protection I can get:)

Cheers,

Roland

Unknown said...

Hey bud,

Sorry to hear the last few days have been wet. Sounds like you managed to miss some of it if only by seconds. Despite the differences between our styles of bikes, at least one thing is shared: no one likes riding in the rain.

I was down by your office this week, making sure no one messed with your stuff... happy to report that your stuff is all still there. More or less.

You've turned me into a blog-junkie. After the weather, you're site is the first one I check for updates. I've been up to Wawa before, though it's been quite a while. Wave to the goose for me when you tearing past it. Keep the rubber side down bud, and ride safe.

IB

Anonymous said...

Hey Roland,
Just wanted to wish you continued success. You have come so far, to be back in the eastern time zone must make you feel pretty good! I remember you telling me that you knew it would not be all roses on the trip; keep your chin up, you have impressed alot of people with your trip...I've never known anyone before who has done something like this. Very impressive!
Cheers,
Darcy

Teacher Jim said...

Hola Roland, Jim & Mike here. We saw you as you passed the campground in Upsala but you were too far away to yell. We're headed to Stillwater campground (4km west of Nipigon River) on Friday. And if you want, my email address is on my blog. Did you get a picture of Joseph in Upsala? Take care and be safe out there and I know our paths will cross again.

p2 said...

Bonjour Rolland,

C'est Pierre icitte.

I am just about done my rest day in Moncton, and finally had a chance to check out how you are doing. Continue mon homme, there's amazing stuff to see AND experience. There are some blahs, no doubt about it. but if it's any consolation, the more you trek on, the more your perspective changes on things (and slowly it changes you). it's an amazing feeling, and I really admire that you're getting the chance to experience it.

t'es fort bonhomme, ride on.

i have another 20 days until i am done my trip, where I can't wait to read your stories from start to finish. as you have discovered on the road, it can be fairly busy to catch up on things.

at the moment, it's 2:30 in the morning, and i guess i chose to find out where you are as a priority instead of sleeping. no regrets.

continue, et je vais essayer de lire qq de tes entrees dans les prochains jours (internet access and time pending).

rock on,

pierre

Anonymous said...

Roland!!! 0%0^ <-thats a bike

I hope you are well and enjoying the rolling hills of N Ont. I know how lovely they are by car.
It's been good to finally catch up with your blog.
Eileen and I were in VT MA and NY for 11 days and just getting back to a normal rhythm. I hope you are having a good rhythm.
We talked about your tales at Art Night with Sara, Klaus, and Pascaline last night. Did you know Klaus and Pascaline are getting married in December in France!!

So which is your favourite part of the trip so far? Maybe it's dousing your legs down with linament each night!! (sound good?)

see you soon!! Ed

Anonymous said...

hi roland!!! :-)))
we missed you last night at our art gathering. seems like forever since you left town!!
wow, i am super impressed with not only your blog, but the twists and turns you are taking on your trip.
i admire your persistence and openness in sharing your process with us.
we are having an amazing summer... our garden is smiling each day as it brings us more colour and now yummy veggies and herbs to eat.

**(p.s. hope you are finding good and healthy food for yourself!!?)

perhaps when you are coming thru ottawa all of us (the art group) can have supper at the table?! we would love to see you!

blessings, roland... and goddess speed as you continue your sojourn.

love,
eileen

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Roland!

On est super fier de toi dans les bonnes comme dans les mauvaises journée! Il ne faut pas lâcher le plus beau est encore à venir: le Québec!!! Ginette et Denis

Roland Hebert said...

Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for posting your words of encouragement. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was sort of hoping for a pat on the back. Well, ask and ye shall receive and it is much appreciated. It brought a smile to my face on a day that I'm pretty tired. Don't get me wrong, things are actually going better, but I'm super tired today (details in my next post).

Ian, Thanks for guarding my stuff at work. I must say that you are the only one that reminds me of anything work related. Stop that:)

Darcy, ironically, I'm told by a number of people that they are seeing such a large number of cross-country cyclists this year. Apparently it is the thing to do. You're next man!

Pierre, great to hear from you and congrats on being so far along. For those who don't know Pierre is a guy from Ottawa who's doing the same trip as I am, but he left about a month before I did. Check out his blog at www.p2therollingstone.blogspot.com

I've been wondering a few times along the way where you were at. Must feel great to be so close to your goal. Moncton will feel doubly cool to me as my family is there. I won't be able to dilly dally too much while I'm there however as I'm already way behind schedule.

Ed and Eileen, great to hear from you and thanks for news on the home front (I had no idea Klaus and Pascaline were getting married). Thanks for the invitation to the Table and I probably will be able too, but I can't yet commit as I think my stay in Ottawa will be limited to 1 or 2 days as I'm behind schedule by quite a bit.

Ginette et Denis, oui je serai tres content d'arriver au Quebec car cela voudra dire que j'aurai termine avec l'Ontario. Ouff, cette province est enorme.

Teacher Jim said...

Hola Roland, Jim & Mike here. It's Sunday, we're soaking wet and cold. So we're in a motel in Marathon. I just wanted to tell you, if you ever show up at a campground, ask if we are there. If so, you are more than welcome to tent with us. I did a solo trip once and I know how expensive it can be. Still hoping to see ya' again on the road.

Anonymous said...

Hi Roland!
I just got caught up on your travels. Good job! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and stories, I appreciate it. I've crossed the country a number of times in a car and the perspective on a bike is very different. I know Ont is a long stretch so continue avec ton bon courage. I've just gotten back from a camping trip to the beach and am getting ready to face my last week of work before my vacations start. I Love Summer and am grateful it is here! I'll check in on you later.
Take care!
:) Barb

Roland Hebert said...

Hey Barb,

Thanks for reading. I love summer as well and can't wait for it to arrive:) We had a high of 16 today.

Enjoy your holidays. Hopefully, you'll be around when I reach Moncton.

Roland