Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Zigzagging in Quebec

July 29: Rosemere to Sorel-Tracy (95.25km)
I deliberately started late this morning. Even though I wasn't in Montreal proper, I figured that I was in its sphere of influence and would therefore prefer to avoid its rush hour traffic. So, I took my time and got on the road at about 9:30.

Progress was slow initially because my road choice was meandering with a lot of stop signs. This was a good thing in a way, because it forced the cars on the road to go slow. Once I got to Repentigny, I could ride faster and the roads for the most part were great. After riding in Manitoba and Ontario for what seems like forever, I realize just how fortunate I am when I have a good shoulder and for about 90% of my ride, I had ample room. Thank you oh wise Quebec legislators.

I was a bit wimpy today as I ended in Sorel after I took the ferry across the river. I guess I could have gone further, but I felt like resting up a bit.

July 30: Sorel-Tracy to Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade (118.88km)
My intent was to go south of the Saint Laurence river in order to avoid Trois Rivière and Québec city - two large cities especially Québec as it is celebrating its 400 anniversary all summer and will likely be busy. I made this decision to go south even though "La route verte" (a recommended bike route) is the northern route. Well, my decision was the wrong one. The southern road is a pretty one, but I couldn't look at the scenery too much as I was concentrating on the road because the pavement was really bad and there was no shoulder. In sum, it was much like Ontario except that there was less traffic. Well, there was no use prolonging a bad decision. So I crossed the bridge at Trois Rivière and have since been riding on the recommended route and will do so from here on in, because the road is fabulous. For the most part there are wide shoulders and the scenery is very pretty.

The road is called "Le chemin du roi" which translates to "The King's Road". Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it holds this name, because it is the road that Charles de Gaulles was transported on while traveling from Québec to Montréal where he made his "Vive le Québec Libre" speech in I think 1968. I may be completely wrong on this, but regardless it is a very nice road and would recommend it to anyone traveling in this area by bike or otherwise.

I stopped at a rest stop about 20km prior to my final stop. While there two groups of bikers (motorcycle) asked me about my trip and they were absolutely astonished with it. The only reason why I bring this up is because it made me think about the different reactions I've been getting along the way. In BC, you could tell the people were sizing me up and making a determination of whether I would make it or not. In the Prairies, most of the people looked at me like I was the dumbest guy that walked this earth. Northern Ontario is a bit like a funnel in that all the bikers take the same route. So the people are a bit bored about the whole cross-country biking thing. And in Québec, eyebrows raise up in shock that one has made it this far. Anyways, it's sort of entertaining to see the different perceptions that people have. Sorry, I'm on a bike 8 hours a day, small things entertain me now:)

July 31: Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade to Levis(96.49km)
While I was in Ottawa, I bought a new rain coat and today I got to test drive it and boy am I happy I got it. It kept the rain out (which my old jacket could only do for the weakest of sprinkles) and kept my perspiration to a minimum. So even though I had steady rain for about 3 hours, I was actually pretty comfortable.

Once the rain slowed down, I was approaching Quebec city along some side roads that were getting more undulating. At one point I came upon what I think is the steepest road I ever saw. Why someone decided to pave a cliff is beyond me, but that sucker was steep. I'm loath to admit it, but about half way I decided to spare my knees and to walk it up - something that I hadn't done since day 2 of my trip when I wasn't in the shape that I should have been. Anyways, as I was climbing up the hill, I could hear a leak from my front tire. Upon reaching the top, I went about changing my tube and discovered that a big chunk of glass was lodged in my tire. It took me a while to pry it out and I patched the inside of my tire because of the small hole that it left (thankfully the rain had stopped by this point). I don't know if you're supposed to patch a tire (usually we patch a tube), but I figured I'd give it a try anyways.

Initially I was hoping to go beyond Levis, because I figured the festivities in Quebec City (across the river) would make finding an accommodation challenging. But with the delays that I encountered, I could make it no further. Thankfully, I did find a motel (Terry, as this is your former hood, I'm on Boulevard de la Rive Sud). If worst came to worst, I could have camped, but with today's inclement weather, I wanted a hot bath and dry sleeping conditions.

Just a few pictures of some rivers I drove by.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not entirely sure by I think the Chemin du Roi is alot older than the 60s. I think it may be named for the king of France.

Check out: http://www.lecheminduroy.com/en/historique.php

Anonymous said...

Roland,

t'es passé à côté de ma ville natale, Tracy!

Julie

Rachel said...

Allo Roland,
Dad dit que le chemin du roi existe depuis quelques siècles. Tout va bien a Moncton , J'ai hâte que tu arrive. Mom

Roland Hebert said...

Salut,
OK, je suis dans les patates, mais pour un chemin qui a plusieurs siecles de vieux, il est en tres bonne condition:)

Julie,
Techniquement, je pense avoir reste dans ta ville natale, car le motel ou j'ai reste etait le "Motel Tracy".

Roland

MoniqueH said...

Hi Roland,

Guess what? I'm flying to Moncton. I'll arrive late on Wednesday (August 6) and leaving Tuesday (August 12). You better be there!

See you in Moncton.... right?
Monique

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Roland!

Alors les côtes du Québec sont plus raides que celles de l'Alberta et de BC... J'ai toujours su que l'on n'avait rien à envier aux autres provinces! Aussi ça me réconforte de savoir que je ne serai pas la seule à devoir s'inscrire à des cours de rattrapage scolaire: moi en géo et toi en histoire... Je comprends que vous aviez beaucoup apprendre sur l'Acadie, mais de là à oublier de vous mentionner la révolution française et l'abolition de la monarchie en France, je me dis que vos profs d'histoire ont fait les coins pas mal ronds! En plus, pour ton information, de Gaulle il n'était pas roi mais président de la France.

Bonne balade au Québec, j'espère que la pluie ne t'affecte pas trop! Ginette

Roland Hebert said...

Oui, Ginette, je savais que de Gaulle n'etait pas un roi, mais j'ai assume que le chemin du roi etait une metaphore pour souligner l'importance de Charles.

En passant, c'est le proprietaire d'un auberge au Quebec qui m'a raconte l'histoire. Il se peut par contre que je ne l'ecoutais pas de tres pres:)

Roland

Rodrigue Hébert said...

Bonjour Roland,

Juste un petit mot sur le chemin de Roi. Dad, je consulte mon dictionnaire pour ceci!!! C'est pas vrai, mais le Chemin du Roi date du régime français au XVIIe siècle. C'est la route qui longe le fleuve de Montréal à Québec.

Ton amie québecoise a raison que Charles de Gaulle était un président. En tant qu'enseignant d'histoire, je veux lui dire que nous traitons de la Révolution française etc. Roland refuse de consulter les dictionnaires.

Monique,

Nous serons à Moncton le 11.

Bonne continuation!!

Rodrigue