Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bonne fete Hannah et Renee

It so happens that my sister Renee and my niece have the same birthday (some 30 years apart however). Happy birthday to you both.

June 10: Nelson to Nelson (about 4km)
Woke up to foul weather today. The rain was torrential and I was glad to be inside and Tony and I decided to take a rest day in Nelson. This was fine with me as I hadn't had a chance to visit the town the previous day, because the weather didn't allow for it. Moreover, Tony has a friend who is going to pay him a visit and it would be easier for the friend to find Tony in Nelson than in a town where we didn't know where we would stay.

I was aching to get out of the motel and meet people however. I decided to move my stuff to the Youth Hostel. Tony preferred to stay in the motel. So after running a few errands, the rain finally stopped and I moved my stuff to the hostel. I'm glad I did. I met some really cool people while making supper and we went to see a documentary about problems with water usage in the world. The documentary was informative if repetitive, but the real pleasure was talking with my new companions. There was a lady from Ireland, another from Denmark and man from France (who I must mention said that he could understand my French much more easily than any Quebecker - HA!) and a lady from Moncton no less. She is probably a few years younger than I am and she went to a rival high school so our paths had never crossed before.

I also visited Nelson. I like it. It has a bohemian feel to it where every second commerce seems to be a cafe or an outdoor adventure store. It seems to attract young people who like doing outdoor activities. In other words, Nelson is the place where pretty people live. My co-worker Sarah Jane gave me a number of suggestions of what to visit (thanks SJ, your tips were bang on).

June 11: Nelson to Boswell (about 60km - I accidentally erased my mileage on my computer)
I woke up to heavy rain and I thought "here we go again", but by the time we were ready to leave, the sun was almost shining. Oh my God, it's a miracle. And by the time we crossed the bridge outside of Nelson, the sun was shining and it was starting to get warm. I started peeling off my rain gear and it had been such a staple of my wardrobe that I felt naked without it.

We rode up north to Balfour to take a ferry across the lake. The ride was spectacular. The weather was warm and sunny and the wind was at our back. I felt great. We reached the ferry in good time and we only had to wait a little bit before it arrived. Also waiting for the ferry were Rebecca and Pascal - two Swiss bikers who took a year off from work and are doing a ton of touring (they've already ridden 8000km since November mostly in South America and are now doing the cross Canada trip - in fact they have their own website of their adventures if you care to visit www.kimble.ch).

Once the ferry reached the other side, we rode south. The wind that was pushing us along on the first part of the trip was now in our face. It made for slower going but it was still nice. At around 4PM we stopped to set up camp. The day had been nice. So camping sounded promissing. Well as soon as our tents were up, it started pouring. The whole night was pretty cold and wet. I stayed dry, but I never got cozzy warm during the night even though I was wearing a lot of clothing. In the morning, I decided that I wasn't going to camp again until the weather turned warmer – likely not until I left the rockies.


June 12: Boswell to Creston (about 60km - I didn't place my bike computer properly and it didn't record the first 35km)
The day was cold and the ride was all rolling hills along the lake – all in all, very pretty.

Since this blog is a transcript of my travel experiences and should be representative of what I am living, I would be remise if I didn't address one important topic ... I smell really bad. It's crazy. I shower every day and I clean my clothes as often as I can and still, I stink big time. Sometimes I get a tail wind while I'm riding and I get a wiff of myself – holy cow! Words do not describe. When I get back home I'll have to take an hour long shower before I approach any of you. Otherwise I may lose some of you as friends. It is however yet more proof that I am now a man and no longer but a boy.

June 13: Creston to Cranbrook (107.72km)
This has been my longest day so far and I finally surpassed the 100km mark. This was the perfect day to have such a long ride. The weather was perfect (mostly sunny, but still relatively cool and a strong wind in our back) and the hills were not devestating. Tomorrow promises to be even more challenging. We hope to get to Fernie which is about the same distance as we did today and it will be a constant uphill from what I'm told.

The mountains that are before us are much more beautiful and dramatic than those that we have already climbed – apparently, because the latter are older and have been more “worn down” than the former. In any case, we are approaching the continental divide and should be out of BC in two days if all goes well.

As Rebecca and Pascal are going north from here, I have said my good byes and depending on when they are going to reach Ottawa, I may be able to see them again.

Last story: All day today I had the song called “Island in the Stream” (I think that's the name) made popular by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. I feel I must explain that I had heard a new version of this song prior to my trip that was sung by Feist and some dude (the singer of the Weakerthans maybe) and their version was much better than the Kenny and Dolly version. In any case, in a few spots during the ride I was belting out the song with great gusto (my rendition of the Dolly parts are especially poignant:)

Anyways, not sure when I'll post again, but hopefully in a few days. Cheers and check out my pictures

10 comments:

Rodrigue Hébert said...

Bonjour Roland,

J'espère que tout se déroule bien. L'année s'achève. Sheryl a fini la mosaïque de l'école. Hannah fait son concert de fin d'année de "hip-hop". Simone a fait son concert de fin d'année aujourd'hui (danse écossaise) . Benjamin prépare ses vacances. Hannah va faire un camp d'été à King's Landing (1 semaine), au mois de juillet. Simone va à un camp d'une semaine également. En même temps, les 3 jeunes jouent au soccer. Finalement, Sheryl va passer une semaine à Fredericton à son propre camp d'artisanat.

Anonymous said...

Hey Roland,

What a bummer that you've been having such lousy weather! But I bet it makes the days of nice weather seem even better, right?

By the way, Aaron and Kristin are in your neck of the woods right now (actually, probably a couple of hundred miles north of you in Yoho and Jasper, but in terms of the size of our entire country, still pretty close). I told them that if they saw a guy wearing glasses with stripes on his head and riding a bike, that they should say "Hi" for me;)

As for films, I too would recommend 'Death at a Funeral'.

And after the Indiana Jones movie, I'm thinking of reading Chariots of the Gods again.

Hope the next leg of your trip brings better weather and fantastic scenery, Roland.

Keep on bik'n...and take care. Mary

Rodrigue Hébert said...

Hey Roland ses Hannah je vien daprendre que tu va atravaire le canada a velo. Hier soir mon pere ma dit qu`il etait en desacord que tu ecrit ton blog en englais. Mais ne t`inquiet pas je t`est defendue. J`ai une question comment a tu rencontrer Tonny?????????????????????????????

Je t`aime beaucoup et bonne chance
Hannah

Roland Hebert said...

Bonjour Rodrigue et Hannah,

C'est le fun d'avoir de vos nouvelles et ca sonne comme si vous etes tres occupe comme toujours.

Concernant mon choix de langue, 1) c'est mon choix so tough, 2) comme plusieurs de mes amis sont anglophones, je prefere demeurer en communication avec eux, 3) comme j'ecris mieux en anglais et plus rapidement, je vais continuer a conserve mon energie pour d'autre epreuve:)

J'ai rencontre Tony par hasard. Je cyclais une cote l'hors de ma 4ieme journee je pense et il etait sur le bord de la route en train de manger. On s'est tenu ensemble depuis.

Hey Mary,

I haven't seen Aaron yet:) The weather has improved incredibly of late and some might say it is even hot, but as you know, I love the heat. As such we have been biking quite a bit and I haven't had time to update my blog. I'll probably do so on my next day off. Presently (June 16) I'm in Lethbridge.

Gotta go sleep,

Roland

Anonymous said...

Lethbridge! When I did a google maps search earlier it said Lethbridge, British Columbia does not exist. When I zoomed way out from Cranbrook, I noticed that Lethbridge is half way into Alberta.

Did some friendly driver with a pickup truck give you a lift, or have you abandonned your strategy of riding slow and cautiously down the hills now that the weather is warming up?

At this pace you'll be in Saskatchewan in no time!

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Roland!

Wow ton premier jour de plus de 100km! C'est fantastique! Là je suis fière de toi! Je suis d'accord avec ton choix d'écrire ton blog en anglais ça n'aurait pas été aussi inspirant de décrire ton trajet en n'utilisant que des mots de trois syllabes!!!À bientôt! Ginette

Unknown said...

Bonjour Roland,
Je viens de lire tout ton périple depuis le début. WOW! c'est super!
Je suis très contente pour toi.
J'ai hâte de d'entendre la suite!
J'espère que la pluie est terminée! En fait on espère ça nous aussi ici car il n'arrête pas de pleuvoir.
Je pense toujours aller rouler avec toi quelques jours entre le 14 et le 25 juillet.
Bonne continuation!
Sophie

Anonymous said...

Roland,

You MAN you! woo!
(or should I say pew!)
Hee, hee!

What a great adventure! That's wonderful that you're meeting so many interesting people!
(not so wonderful about the rain, hail, wind..... but it makes great stories at least - adds to the manliness of it all).

Many more great adventures and fun to you.

Sara

Pablito said...

All:

I thought I'd let you know that I put together a little Google map of Rolly's progress so far. Feel free to check it out.

Rolly: Will be posting my comments of admiration (a.k.a. back side kissing [PG13 approved]) a bit later. Need to get some work done.

One thing though... Who's the da man?? You da man!! Alright then.

Paul

Roland Hebert said...

Paul,

You rock man. I just checked out the google maps tool that you put together - it is super cool and much appreciated as I'll be able to look at my trajectory when I reminisce about my travels. I was wondering if I had sent my blog to the right email address. Glad to see that my emails aren't going directly in your spam folder:) And by the way, butt-kissing comments are always welcome.

Sophie,

Mon trajet a debute lentement, mais je suis en train de me retraper. Alors, j'espere toujours etre dans le coin du parc Algonquin dans les dates que tu as mentionne. Le tout bien sur depend du climat et de ma sante. Tiens moi au courant de tes plans. J'aurai surement un besoin de compagnie a ce point la et ce serait le fun de te voir.

Ginette,

Tu seras contente d'apprendre que j'ai fait une journee de 168km (plus de nouvelle dans mon blog demain) et aussi je te demanderais de ne pas utilise des aussi gros mots dans tes futurs posting:)

Norm,

Oh yee of little faith. I'll have you know that I am currently in Saskatchewan and that is without any motorized transport. I'm also happy to report that I never did get the photo that you requested of me cuddling with a Grizzly.

Sara,

Great to hear from you and I have found the solution to my stench. I went for a swim in a pool and it was gone. So if I soak in a vat of chlorine for an hour, I don't smell too bad:)

All,

Tomorrow will be my first day off of riding since Nelson and I'll be posting an update of my travels.

Thanks for reading and talk to you later,

Roland