Thursday, June 26, 2008

On the mend

June 24 to 26: Moose Jaw to Moose Jaw (29.84km)
This post will likely be my shortest yet as I haven't done much in the past few days. I've been in Moose Jaw for the past 4 days trying to recover from this bug. So I've been lazing about my motel room watching bad TV.

In order to diagnose my problem, I went to a walk-in clinic on Tuesday. The doctor is running a number of tests on me and she recommended that I take an over the counter medication to treat my diarrhea. That part seems to be working and I'm starting to get some energy back. As a result, tomorrow I think I will test my body a bit. Unless something changes from now until then, I will bike to Regina tomorrow. It's a fairly short ride of about 70km and it will give me an idea of how my body reacts. I will only go past Regina if I feel that my body is up to it, because there is a whole lot of nothing between Regina and Winnipeg and I'd rather be held up in Regina then be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

So if all goes well, my next post should be from Winnipeg.

This layover in Moose Jaw has thought me an important lesson ... TV is evil. Wow, there is a lot of garbage on the tube. And I have been convinced once and for all that I will not become an "Ultimate Fighter":)

Update:
The doctor contacted me just as I was posting the above text, because they had received the results from my blood test. Seems my white blood cells were low. She said that likely meant that I had something viral (I forgot to ask, but I assume as opposed to a parasite which she had first suspected). Anyways, she said I should be good to go and if any other results come in, she will leave a message on my cell phone which I will be checking on a regular basis.

Anyways, wish me luck.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courage Roland! Je partage tes commentaires pour la télé...Pour que tu ne te sentes pas seul dans un épisode où ton corps ne veut pas coopérer, je suis dans la même situation. Une vilaine bronchite a eu raison de mon énergie dans un moment où j'aurais dû être en super forme pour le travail (diffusion...). Et j'ai eu bien de la difficulté à accepter parce que d'habitude, c'est moi qui décide!!! J'ai appris que quelques jours de repos au moment où le corps en a vraiment besoin épargnent probablement plusieurs heures de mauvaise télé supplémentaires si on n'écoute pas notre corps!!! Prends ça cool, il y a surement une bonne raison... Après 3 semaines de repos, je viens de faire ma première sortie d'environ 1 km à vélo, et c'était bien essoufflant!

Je t'envoie plein d'énergie!!! (en tout cas le peu que je peux t'envoyer en ce moment!!)

Julie

Roland Hebert said...

Ayoy! Je n'ai vraiment a rien a me plaindre. J'espere que tu te sents mieux et n'inquietes toi pas de la diffusion. Ca va se faire d'une facon ou d'une autre.

Roland

Anonymous said...

Hey Roland! Barb here. I saw Woody the other day in Monkey town and he reminded me that you had started your road trip. I asked him to send me your blog page and here I am, browsing about your adventures. I am so very happy for you! I am in awe and somewhat jealous of your experience. What you are doing is a dream of mine! Know that I'll come visit regularly and that you have a fan in me. A tantot, Barb

Pablito said...

Hé bah!

Roving Rolly the Ultimate Fighter... [pause for deep thought]. Hmmm, sounds über cool for a cyclist; not so much for the ultimate fighter thing. I'd stick with biking.

Désolé que la maladie t'ait frappé si dûr, mais j'suis heureux que tu t'en remet. Bonne chance pour Régina... pis oublie pas... YOU'RE MY HERO MAN!

Niall McKenna said...

Hi Roland. Where are you right now? I work with CBC Radio in Regina and want to talk to a cross-Canada cyclist following the tragic death of a man in Manitoba who was biking across the country for diabetes. If you get this today somehow, call me at 306-347-9506 or e-mail niall.mckenna@cbc.ca

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Roland, j'espère que la santé va mieux. Je commence à me demander où j'avais la tête pendant tout ce mois de juin...en tous les cas je suis pas mal moins bonne que je le croyais en géographie du Canada! Je n'avais même pas réalisé que tu avais traversé tout l'Alberta! Il y aurait pu y avoir une ville Saskatchewan à BC non? Ce midi je suis allée marcher avec Sophie pis quand elle m'a dit qu'elle pensait aller te rejoindre à Vélo 2 ou 3 jours durant ses vacances je me disais pauvre Roland il est malade, encore en Colombie-Britannique, pis là il va falloir qu'il mette le pied à fond sur la pédale car Sophie l'attend en juillet dans le Parc Algonguin... J'imagine que c'est l'effet recensement ou encore que les Rocheuses pour toi il n'y avait rien là!!! Continue et je te souhaite plein de soleil pour les jours qui viennent! Ginette

Roland Hebert said...

Hi All,

This message will be quick as I'm on the motel's computer (their wireless is on the fritz).

I'm currently in Brandon (that's Manitoba Ginette:) and hope to be in Winnipeg in two days where I'll be able to give a more in depth posting.

As one of the postings above indicates, there has been a tragedy on the road in which two cross-country cyclists were hit and killed by a car. This, as you may well imagine, is unnerving and I'm spending much of my time looking over my shoulder. All is well however.

Hey Barb, great to hear from you and glad you got the info. I think I tried to send you the blog address, but I had an old email.

Paul, no, you are my hero (I feel a group hug coming on:).

Ginette, je fais mon possible de me rendre au parc Algonquin, mais avec tous mes delais, je crains peut etre manque mon rendez vous avec Sophie. On verra bien.

Gotta go,

Roland

Anonymous said...

Hi Roland,

Martin m'a dit que tu traverses le pays en vélo. Solo, c'est très impressionnant!!! C'est touchant de te lire. Ça me rappelle plusieurs bons souvenirs vécus lors de mon périple transcanadien en vélo en 1989. WOW, déjà 20 ans l'an prochain. On est parti de Moncton pour se rendre jusqu'à Victoria en 60 jours. Tu me donnes le goût de repartir! Bon vélo. Keep your helmet on!!

Marc - Mtl
PS: Hi Barb, Woody