Friday, June 27, 2008

Happy Canada Day et bonne fete Emilie

June 27: Moose Jaw to Regina (81.24km)
When I woke up this morning, the sun was shining through the window. They had been forecasting rain, but I thought to myself "Baa, when have they been right so far?" I looked at the horizon and it's true that there were clouds, but they didn't look altogether threatening and there were some breaks in the clouds. So I got ready. I had to make a quick stop at the hospital to give them a couple of samples that they were going to test and the bike ride there was really cold. I went back to the motel to finish packing and put on more clothing.

As soon as I dropped off my key (literally), the first drops of rain fell. Hmmm, a bad omen perhaps, but enough with the lethargy, I was off. It didn't take long that it started raining steadily. Nothing too bad, but it was clear that the weather guru had gotten it right. Thankfully, there was a really strong wind and it was landing squarely on my back. If the wind would have been the other direction, I would have stayed in Moose Jaw another night. As it turns out, I got to Regina before noon and even though it was cold and I was wet, I wasn't yet cold because the act of biking had kept me warm. However, I knew that if I stopped, I would freeze. So stopping for lunch and continuing on was out of the question. So I took the first reasonably priced motel room that I could find.

After a hot bath and lunch, the rain really started to come down. I was glad to not be riding or camping.

Last note: my energy was good today. I didn't feel sluggish like I had the last few days of riding and my digestons seems to have settled down quite nicely. Hopefully it will hold up.

June 28: Regina to Grenfell (123.12km)
I woke today to much optimism. I looked outside and there was a flag outside my window that was flowing vigorously toward the East. Yes, I thought, this is going to be a fun day. Well the flag was a bit deceptive because the wind hit me from the North which was sometimes to my advantage and sometimes not.

I got to Grenfell around 4PM. While asking for directions to the campground I found out that there was a street party going on that evening to celebrate Canada Day. So I decided to check it out. I am not a drinker at the best of times and especially not of beer. Everyone tells me it is an acquired taste and I've clearly never put in the necessary effort to acquire it. That being said, after riding 123km in the beating sun, that beer was some good.

For a small town that proudly advertised that it had seven churches in town, I found it ironic that they decided to name the celebration “Mardi Gras” considering that it was neither Tuesday nor lent, but I guess that it is now synonymous to party. The party as it turned out was pretty tame and I still got to bed at a reasonable hour.

Last point: The campground was nearly empty but one of my neighbour who was straight out of the movie Deliverance was quite the character. He told me with great gusto that he was there for the weekend and that he wasn't budging until he had finished a big bottle of whiskey and another of vodka. After seeing him the following morning, I think he was well on his way of attaining his goal.

June 29: Grenfell to Elkhorn (142.47km)
The conditions were really good today. A beautiful sunny sky and a slight tailwind. I made pretty good time and decided to settle in Elkhorn for the night, because the next campsite was a good 30km away which would have made for a late night as I had crossed another time zone.

Yup, I've left Saskatchewan and I'm not sad to see it go. I'm sure there are several great things about the province, but I will only remember it as a very challenging place (not altogether its fault of course). Two positive things that I should mention about the province however. 1) The sky is quite beautiful here. It is very dramatic and makes for some pretty sunsets. 2) The eastern part of the province seemed to be more life affirming than the western part. The few towns I crossed through west of Moose Jaw were downright depressing. Ever since then however, the towns are prettier, the people nicer and the general atmosphere more optimistic. Now this may have partially been due to my state of mind in both parts as well:)

As I was biking into Elkhorn today I was chased by a dog. This happens now and again when riding, but usually the dog simply makes sure that you're out of their territory and gives up. This one, however, had it in for me. He was a hefty dog and he chased me for a good 50 meters. Luckily I had enough juice in my legs to out run it. It worried me however that I would have to pass by that same place to leave town especially considering that from this side, the dog would see me coming from farther away. I had decided that if I had to go by there again, I would have my bear spray at the ready. For those who don't know, bear spray is like pepper spray times 100. I've thankfully never had to use it, but apparently it is nasty stuff and could possibly kill the dog. I didn't want to kill the dog, but I do have a well developed sense of self preservation. As it turns out, there was a second exit to the town. So I won't have to see that dog ever again.

June 30: Elkhorn to Brandon (111.08km)
Today was overshadowed by tragedy. I doubt this made news where you live, but yesterday four cross-country cyclists were hit by a car and two died. Three of the cyclists were from St-Bruno, Quebec and the fourth was from Kelowna, BC. Moreover, they were hit on a part of the highway that I rode on today.

The highways up until now have been very good in that there are generally wide shoulders on which I can ride without any concern for traffic. This allows me to look at the scenery or get lost in my own thoughts. That changed not long after Virden where the shoulders disappear and cyclists are forced to ride on the highway. It is in that part of the highway that the collision occurred. Most drivers are quite courteous and move to the other lane to give you enough room, but some do not. Given the events of yesterday, I was quite paranoid and was looking at my rear view mirror all day. This makes for a stressful ride and after 100km I was mentally tired which was regrettable because the winds were favourable.

Along the ride, a CBC van stopped ahead of me. Once I caught up to it, a journalist came out and asked to interview me about the tragedy. I've done interviews for work before and I had to watch what I said. It was good talking just for myself and saying what I really thought. I went on at length about the dismal conditions of the roads in Manitoba (no exaggeration, they are by far the worst I've seen so far).

Tomorrow is Canada Day and I'm unsure what to do. Continuing with the Trans Canada is the most direct route to Winnipeg, but apparently the shoulders don't improve. I could go down to highway 2 which apparently has less traffic, but is only two lanes and more of a country road. I'm hesitant to go on country roads because they aren't perfect either (a car hit me on one two years ago). I'm hoping that traffic will be very light tomorrow as it is Canada Day. As such, I will continue with the Trans Canada. If I see that the traffic is heavy and that I feel unsafe, I will take the next road that goes down to the number 2. Wish me luck.

Only one picture. Pretty bad on my part. I think I only took 3 pictures in all of Saskatchewan. In hindsight, I should have taken pictures of the shoulders (they were so nice).

6 comments:

Rodrigue Hébert said...

Nous avons entendu les nouvelles de l'accident. C'était aux nouvelles nationales parce que le voyage en question était pour une bonne cause. Nous sommes heureux que tu es en bonne santé.

Bonne fête du Canada et nous célébrons notre 14e anniversaire de mariage!

MoniqueH said...

Hi there in Manitoba!

Very sad about those accidents. And scary too! I know it's not helping Mame's anxiety level. Just cycle conservatively (and it sounds like you are).

I know that I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. Mame & Dad probably told you that Bill and I took the girls to South Dakota. Our road trip was in an SUV (I know - that sounds so boring to you). Nonetheless, I kept seeing a beautiful bike trail called the Mickelson trail that runs through the Black Hills, which might be of interest to you. I was surprised at just how much there was to see and do in the Black Hills, and it certainly was gorgeous from a natural perspective. However, I saw a lot more Harley Davidson bikes than the pedalling kind. Lots and lots of people walking around in leather chaps (the famous Sturgis bike rally is right there by the Black Hills).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and that all is going well. Take care and keep an eye on that rear view mirror!

Bye, Monique

Roland Hebert said...

Salut Rodrigue,

Oui, j'aurais du me souvenir que c'etait votre anniversaire. Techniquement, il est toujours le premier. Alors, joyeux anniversaire et aussi un joyeux anniversaire a Paul et a Grace. Ouf, le 1 juillet est une journee occupee:)

Hey Monique,

Good to hear from you and no I hadn't realized that you were in the Dakotas (Mom and Dad are not doing their job:). I'd love to go there sometime and trust me, there are some moments where an SUV sounds pretty good to me:) I'll have to check out possible bike trips there - that is if I'll still want to bike again after this trip:)

Cheers,

Roland

Rachel said...

Bonjour Roland,

Je viens juste de m'inscrire à Google, maintenant je peux te disputer.

Mame!!! et Dad

rh a écrit.

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Roland,

J'espère que tu as été prudent aujourd'hui et j'espère que tu n'as pas eu d'incident sur l'autoroute. Avant d'apprendre les tristes nouvelles des derniers jours je n'avais même pas réalisé que les cyclistes devaient rouler sur l'autoroute. Sois prudent surtout si tu vois les gars de la voirie du Manitoba ils pourraient t'en vouloir d'avoir critiqué ouvertement leur travail sur une chaîne nationale!Ça peut devenir dure la vie de vedette!

En passant, j'avais manqué tes photos de l'Alberta et de ton entrée en Saskatchewan c'est pour cela que j'étais toute confuse. Je n'y peu rien je suis visuelle...

À bientôt! Ginette

Roland Hebert said...

Allo Mom et Dad,

Je suis content de voir que vous etes maintenant inscrit a Google.

Je suis presentement a Winnipeg et j'ai ete tres sage aujourd'hui. J'ai pris des detours pour eviter la trans canadienne et j'ai roule sur le "gravel" lorsque je n'avais pas le choix que d'etre sur l'autoroute - le traffic etait beaucoup trop charge pour mon gout. J'ai deja mon trajet de plannifier lorsque je pars de Winnipeg et je vais eviter la trans canadienne jusqu'a presque l'Ontario (je vais prendre la route 15 - on m'a dit que c'etait mieux).

Ginette,

Aucun probleme de ne pas remarquer mon trajet a travers l'Alberta. Ca s'est fait assez rapidement. Manitoba va certainement me rester a l'esprit pour bien longtemps, par contre (et pas pour les bonnes raisons:)

Je soumettrai probablement un autre post demain.

Roland