Monday, May 26, 2008

May 26 - A Tale of Two Taxies

For several years now, I've been saying that the nicest taxi drivers can be found in St.-John's NFLD. I may have to revise this assessment.

My flight in yesterday was good in that it was uneventful (I rather like boring plane trips:), but my taxi ride to the hostel where I'm staying was really nice. I got this super nice driver that rivals the NFLD drivers that I've had. He was asking a bunch of questions about my trip. I suggested that he join me, but he decided not too:)

That ride was only surpassed by my ride to the airport in Ottawa. My friend Ginette was kind enough to offer to drive me to the airport (un grand merci Ginette) . Sure, she doesn't exactly count as a taxi driver, but I did provide payment (in chocolate no less) and besides what other taxi driver gives you a hug when they drop you off. In other words, I highly recommend Ginette's taxi service:)

After arriving in the hostel, I met up with my yoga friend Kevin who has been living in Vancouver for about 4 years. We rented a "dinghey" - I'm not disparaging the boat, Kevin told me that it was the proper term - and went for a one hour sail in the Bay. I knew this before, but I have to say it again, Vancouver is a beautiful city. The mountains on one side and the ocean on the other - it can't be beat - well except for Moncton of course. Then Kevin and I went to supper and he showed me some of the sights in the city. It was good seeing you Kevin!

My luggage arrived in one piece and I put my bike together this morning and all seems well. I also ran my final errands this morning (got some food and final camping supplies). So I'm off tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll be going on a relatively short ride of about 60km to Rolley Lake provincial park. The pictures on the net look pretty nice. Anyways, I'll keep you posted.

Ciao for now.

PS: Still working on posting some photos. I was hoping to post some today, but it's taking forever to load them on flickr. If someone knows a quicker way, let me know.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Salut Roland!
Je suis contente de voir que tu as officiellement commencé ton périple, et que tout se passe bien jusqu'à maintenant! Bon, ok, tu n'as pas encore commencé à pédaler, mais comme on disait, c'est l'expérience, et non la performance, qui compte!!!
Au plaisir de te lire,
Evelyne :-) et Pierre-André :-)

Anonymous said...

J'ai surpassé le service offert par les chauffeurs de taxi de Terre-Neuve. Wow c'est tout un compliment!!! Merci pour le chocolat! Maintenant, fini les vacances et le bon temps tu as un pays à traverser!!! J'ai déjà demander le 5 septembre en congé alors tu as grandement intérêt à ne pas être en retard je vais être à l'aéroport de bonne heure! À très bientôt et savoure bien ce permier coup de pédale officiel demain! Ginette

Ps. Pour les photos: tu peux sauvegarder tes photos en format plus petit (exemple small document dans la fonction resize) et les télécharger ("donwloader") directement à partir de blog spot en clickant sur l'icone. Si ça marche tu me devras une autre barre de chocolat!

Anonymous said...

Salut Roland,

Je suis contente de voir que ton voyage a bien commence. Je suis d'accord avec toi que Vancouver est une tres belle vite. Je suis allee la premiere fois la semaine passee pour le travail, et j'etais bien impresionnee!!!

Roland Hebert said...

Ouf, ca va me couter cher en chocolat ce voyage:)

Merci pour les posts et on se voit dans quelques mois!